About Spravato® Treatment
Now, patients who have a history of trying antidepressants with failed results have a safe, fast-acting solution that is covered by most insurance. Spravato® is a newly FDA approved treatment for difficult to treat depression. This medication is a variant of ketamine and is administered nasally. The FDA requires that the treatment takes place in approved centers.
MWI Health is happy to announce that it has become an approved Spravato® center. Spravato® has a very different action in the brain from commonly used antidepressants. For those suffering from depression that hasn’t responded to a number of antidepressant trials, this new treatment may be a valuable option.
Rapid relief from depressive symptoms.
SPRAVATO® is the first FDA-approved nasal spray medication, taken with an oral antidepressant, for treatment-resistant depression in adults. The approval of this drug by the FDA is considered to be one of the most significant advances in mental health in the last 30 years, as now patients who have failed two or more antidepressants have a safe, fast-acting, solution that is covered by most insurance.
• If you’ve tried two or more antidepressants* without sufficient relief, talk to your healthcare provider to see if you may have treatment-resistant depression (*Of adequate dose and duration in your current episode.)
SPRAVATO® is not for use:
• As a medicine to prevent or relieve pain (anesthetic)
• To prevent suicide, reduce suicidal thoughts or actions, or replace hospitalization, even if there is improvement after the first dose
• SPRAVATO® is not for use in children
Interested in learning more? Call to schedule an evaluation at 605-573-2000 or fill out the form below.
Make a Patient Referral
Our goal is for patients to be able to live their best life. If you have a patient who may benefit from Spravato® Therapy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 605.573.2000. It is our goal to augment current mental health treatment plans, not replace them, and Spravato® patients have the best long term success when they are encouraged to continue with their current provider and add Spravato® therapy incorporated with consistent medication management.
We highly recommend continued mental health care and follow ups and Clay Pavlis, M.D. will meet with providers upon request to discuss how referring patients for Spravato® treatment benefits the mental health community as a whole, as well as provide updates on patient progress.
If you have a patient that you think may benefit from Spravato® treatment, please contact the office at email@example.com or call 605.573.2000 and ask to set up a meeting with an RN or M.D.
- Step One of your Journey
- Are you a new patient with MWI Health? Fill out your patient paperwork in the patient portal to start the process of determining your insurance eligibility. In addition, all potential Spravato patients will need to also fill out this form for our staff to register you on REMS and the Jannsen Care Path.
- Step Two
- Schedule an evaluation by calling 605-573-2000. During your evaluation appointment, our providers will talk to you about your medical history and make an assessment as to whether you meet the criteria to qualify for the treatment.
- Step Three
- Our staff members work with your insurance provider to determine your coverage and obtain a pre-authorization. We let you know what your co-pays are and determine the treatment regimen based on your diagnosis and insurance guidelines.
- Step Four
- During each treatment appointment, Spravato is self-administered and your vital signs are monitored by a trained nurse for 2 hours. Since ketamine greatly increases neuroplasticity (your ability to learn new information and reorganize the old one) you could use the time you wait for discharge with therapeutic benefit: you can journal, listen to or watch uplifting material, talk to a supportive friend. The average treatment course lasts about 8 weeks, with one or two appointments weekly. Duration and dosage will be determined by our medical team and the guidelines of your insurance provider.
- Step Five
- It is our goal to help you identify and target the root cause of your condition through the course of treatments. We encourage regular therapy and medication management appointments in conjunction with Spravato treatments to ensure the best and fastest outcomes.
How Spravato® Therapy Works
Here’s what you can expect from your Spravato® Therapy sessions:
- Your first 4 weeks:
- You’ll take SPRAVATO® twice a week for four weeks, along with an oral antidepressant. You should not stop taking SPRAVATO® without talking to your healthcare provider.
- Beyond 4 weeks:
- After four weeks, you and your healthcare provider will determine if continued treatment with SPRAVATO® is necessary.
- Before Treatment:
- Arrange for rides, dress comfortably so you can relax during and after treatment, avoid eating two hours before and drinking thirty minutes before in case of nausea, and talk to your healthcare provider about all the medications you are taking.